Saturday, October 16, 2010

Argument for In The Service of What by Kahne and Westheimer

In this essay, Kahne and Westheimer discuss two different viewpoints on service learning: the charity view, and the change view. Those who support the charity viewpoint want to promote a sense of altruism in students by encouraging them to focus on the rewarding emotional experience of volunteerism. Those who support the change viewpoint want to encourage students to think critically about the socioeconomic state, how dominant ideology works to create inequalities, and how it might be reconstructed.

In one passage, the authors argue that while "almost all discussions of service learning practices emphasize the importance of reflection[,] for the most part . . . descriptions of reflective activities do not include the kind of critical analysis that might help students step outside dominant understandings to find new solutions. Clearly, having students share their thoughts and experiences with one another can be valuable, but reflective activities (commonly in the form of journal entries and discussions? may simply reinforce previously held beliefs and simplistic, if generous, conclusions . . . students may use their developing ability to articulate powerful logical arguments to 'maintain their most deep-seated prejudices and irrational habits of thought by making them appear more rational'" (p. 12).

This passage struck a chord in me as I remembered my experience this past summer as an Americorps VISTA. I was assigned to be an Arts Advocator/Literacty Coordinator for an urban community youth program. Going in I was very excited about what I could offer to the community, and what the experience would offer me. Each week we would be lead, by our service coordinator, in a superficial discussion of our week. What did we accomplish? What were our struggles? How could we do better?
At the end of my service term, I felt frustrated and disheartened. I felt I was unable to make any real, positive changes, I felt I was unsupported in trying to do so, and I felt prejudiced against the community I had been trying to serve. What shocked me about this passage was that it made me wonder about the method of our reflections. If we had had deeper, more critical discussions about the state of the community and the dominant ideology that was keeping it in that state, I might have had a different experience. If we had focused on restructuring dominant understandings, instead of applying bandaids, I might have felt better about my impact on the community.

Kahne and Westheimer, I believe, argue that while performing charitable acts is a positive experience for students, it is less valuable an experience without some critical reflection on the socioeconomic structures involved. Considering my own experience mentioned above, and the articles we've read and discussions we've had in class, I would have to agree with that argument. I feel it is due to the critical nature of this class that I am becoming a more open-minded, understanding individual. I feel this type of analysis is crucial to my future as an educator.

In my Intro to Lit Theory class, my professor is always pointing out the importance of critical thinking. Here are some youtube videos we watched recently which reinforce that notion. I think they somewhat relate to the argument of Kahne's and Westheimer's essay.

WARNING: this clip features explicit language


<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hYIC0eZYEtI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hYIC0eZYEtI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>


<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zRNMZEDOBrM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zRNMZEDOBrM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

We have to think critically about everything, even Disney movies, as suggested in Linda Christensen's essay, "Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us."


I think it might be interesting, in class, if we could all share a story about a situation in which we feel some critical analysis might have bettered the experience.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm . . . it seems the embed didn't work for the videos, I will find out how to fix this. In the meantime, if you'd like to see them, here are the links:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sruUIHg89B0

    and

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRNMZEDOBrM

    Sorry for the inconvenience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those videos are great, definitely relatable to Kahne and Westheimer's article. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good use of videos... they totally relate!

    ReplyDelete