Sunday, October 3, 2010

Gayness, Multicultural Education, and Community by Carlson (Extended Comments to Beckah's blog)

I am of a similar mind to Beckah. It is upsetting to realize what a huge issue there is surrounding homosexuality in our schools and communities. The two links she provided really accentuated the problem; the fact that young people are feeling compelled to commit suicide because they are being so victimized for being homosexual is, truly, awful. In both of the examples of this occurring, the bullying took place in a school. Beckah raises an important question, "if this had been going on for so long, how could a teacher not recognize it? They must have at least somewhat witnessed it since most of the bullying was at school. Do you think they were just “sweeping it under the rug” and ignoring it?"

I hope we all can agree, as prospective teachers, that the teachers should have been aware of what was going on, and done something to stop it. We are responsible for the well-being of our students, when they are in school, they are under our care. I believe raising awareness about homosexuality, in class, is a great way to start. Take for example, this article, which states that homosexuality is not an individual's "fault," or not something they choose, but rather it may be a genetic disposition. 

Teaching books relating to homosexuality, such as And Tango Makes Three by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson, or Am I Blue? Coming Out of the Silence, or any others listed under that link, is another good way to raise awareness, especially since literature puts the reader in touch with a character on such a personal, and emotional level. This also gives teachers a perfect opportunity to have discussions about homosexuality with their students.

If teachers can make students more open-minded about, and accepting of, homosexuality, I believe that will have to translate out into wider society. As those students pass on an open mind to their children, and so on and so forth. In class I would like to discuss this further, and also, what we can do to recognize bullying in school, and put a stop to it.




3 comments:

  1. Great point, Nessa. And you named two of my favorite LGBT books as well! I wonder how you see Carlson's suggestions in relation to this... what does he suggest we actually DO to make our schools safer places?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, what I got from it was that he is suggesting we use pop culture to explore "gayness" and the history of "gayness" much in the same way as we already do for "blackness," etc.

    I added a suggestion to use literature as well, since that's my thing. But I consider film and television a form of literature. In high school I took a class called Media Lit, and another called Film as Lit. They were great classes, very enlightening. (That may have been a tangent?)

    Anyway, if I'm right about what he's suggesting, I think it's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nessa I'm so happy you used my blog! and i actually googled those books, i really enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete