Saturday, December 4, 2010

Disney Femslash - thought this was so cool!!!

I was looking for a picture of Belle to use as my fb default - people are doing it to raise awareness for child abuse. Anyway, I stumbled when I started seeing pictures like these:









I got pretty excited because I thought this was so cool, and I was curious so I clicked on one of the pictures and it brought me to this link, which had a ton of these pictures and fanmade videos. Apparently this is part of a whole sub-culture of fan-made LGBTQ art. Here are some of my favorites of the fanmade videos - some just coupled two female characters, the best ones told stories:









and here's one for the fellas:



I think it's so interesting to see these same sex pairings. I wonder when Disney will get the hint and come out with a real LGBTQ movie! Finding this obviously made me think about a lot of the theory we've covered this semester: Johnson - we can't be quiet about these issues, Carlson - issues of LGBTQ invisibility, and Christensen - the secret education. Go "slashers" for fighting back in such a neat, creative way!

If, like Christensen suggests, more of us were exposed to images like this at a young age, issues brought up by Carlson about LGBTQ students suffering harassment at the hands of prejudiced students would rarely ever come up. Maybe society would finally understand that love is beautiful in all forms. Seeing is believing.

6 comments:

  1. P.S. I'm heterosexual and have a boyfriend, but I'm still having fun thinking about which characters I think would make the best gay and lesbian couples. I just think this is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nessa this post may have been the most interesting one I have seen on the blogs, and your connections were perfect, Disney should come out with a LGB movie, alothough it may stir trouble maybe it would break the glass! good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha thanks Beckah - and I agree some feathers would definitely be ruffled but when has big change ever not ruffled a fair amount of feathers, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! And the videos are great. Thank you for sharing all this.. Probably never would have seen them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post glad you shared thxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen any of these before! Awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete