Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving Nightmare!!!

So, I was thinking about the video Dr. Bogad posted for Columbus day, and decided to look for some like that about Thanksgiving. Here are two that I found particularly informative and emotional:





The next day I had Thanksgiving with my family, with this in mind. My family had placed on the table, along with our food, fake "Indian" hats and were encouraging the youngest to put them on. My Uncle put one on to humor us, and made savage, stereotyped "Indian" sounds. I was disgusted. They asked my niece if she was learning about the pilgrims and the "Indians" at school. I was so tempted to say something about the lie she'd have learned, but I was afraid to say anything without my family thinking I was preaching, being a freak, and ruining Thanksgiving. As if this wasn't enough to ruin my appetite - my niece came out after dinner wearing a tiara, saying she was a princess - to which everyone complimented how pretty she was! AAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

I would love to learn how to educate my family on these issues without coming across as a pompous windbag. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment